Saturday 27 April 2013

I used to be a vegetarian but I'm not anymore

If you've read my earlier post, you'll know that I became a vegetarian some time back.  Well, I thought I'd check in with an update to share my experience of transitioning from being a vegetarian to a vegan.  

I became a vegetarian for moral reasons first and foremost.  I had been a 'flexitarian' for a few years, having convinced myself that if I ate less meat, and did my best to stick to high welfare, organic meat and animal produce, that it would be ok.  However, one day, after seeing a particularly upsetting video (link at the bottom if you would like to see it), I decided that I could no longer kid myself and that it was time I did something about it.  From that day on, I was a vegetarian, although I still consumed dairy and eggs.  To begin with, I felt like this was enough and kind of managed to replace any nagging doubts over eating dairy and eggs with the marketing images of happy hens and smiling cows in lovely green pastures.  'I'm doing more than most people' I thought, 'that must be good enough surely?’  I felt I didn't need to 'subject' myself to the upset of any more information or videos about the cruelty of animal agriculture because I had already accepted the argument that it's cruel and unnecessary so that was it.  Or so I thought.  

One thing I hadn't prepared myself for - because I hadn't expected it to be honest - was the reaction of some, in fact quite a few, meat eaters towards my decision to give up meat.  I was met with some genuine curiosity and also some real hostility.  Never before in my life had so many people, even vague acquaintances and virtual strangers, been so concerned that I was meeting all of my nutritional needs.  Sometimes the comments were so ridiculous, they didn't really warrant a response.  Other times however, came questions that I felt were probably worth answering, occasionally to shut hostile people up but mostly because if somebody is genuinely curious, it can't hurt for me to be prepared to provide them with a useful and accurate answer.  It was for this reason that I started to educate myself better.  

There were lots of things I learned whilst educating myself - from the fate of male chicks and male dairy calves, to the sadness and upset female cows go through being separated from their young and the suffering they go through to produce milk.  I could go into lots of very upsetting detail here but I think perhaps in the context of sharing my experience of becoming a vegan I'd rather keep it brief and leave you to decide if you'd like to seek out more information for yourself.  And besides, you already know the outcome of my hunger for information on the subject because I've already told you I'm now a vegan!  

I'll be honest; it didn't happen overnight.  I had some fears and concerns.  Even though I had realised that the stuff you hear about vegetarians not getting enough protein was untrue, I was still uncertain as to whether being vegan would really be healthy.  After all, it's drummed into us from childhood that humans need animal proteins and fats to survive.  There's also plenty of information out there from people who want to tell you that being a vegan will make you sick and I'm sure you're aware of the stereotypical image of feeble, sickly-looking people when the word vegan is mentioned!  Still, I kept reading, looking for information, considering the case for becoming a vegan, and then seeking out counter arguments, reasons why veganism may be a nice idea but not possible.  Studying Philosophy, it becomes second nature - picking at arguments, looking at them critically until all reasonable objections or counter arguments have been refuted or dealt with.  Finally, I had to conclude that the only option, from where I was sitting, was to become a vegan.  

I have to admit, it was an uncomfortable truth to start with.  I didn't like the idea of giving up my milky cups of tea, chocolates, baking cakes, and eating eggs.  I think most people have got at least one food they think they couldn't live without.  Even though I knew deep down that for me, veganism was the only right way to live my life, I did feel a bit of dread about the idea of 'giving up' and 'restricting' my diet so much.  However, in the same way my conversion to vegetarianism was easy, I really needn't have worried one bit about becoming a vegan.  For every food item I thought I'd miss, there's a vegan alternative that's just as tasty (and in some cases even nicer - soy lattes and chocolate for example!) and arguably a darn sight more healthy and nutritious.  Even better, rather than my diet being less varied, I eat a much wider range of foods and flavours now.  I've revisited foods that, having had a difficult relationship with food, I previously couldn't face - and I discovered that I like them!  I still have my milky hot drinks although I prefer coffee these days because soy milk lends itself so beautifully to frothy coffees!  I must say, vegan chocolate is actually the best kind of chocolate.  I can't believe I used to settle for chocolates with such low cocoa content, instead packed with fat, sugar, artificial stuff, and not to mention palm oil.  Now I just stick to 70-80% bars and rich homemade chocolate truffles.  What's more, baking is super easy without eggs so I still get my fill of cakes when I want them - still with plenty of flavour and gorgeous texture.

Another concern I had, and I know this is one that a lot of people share, was whether shopping for food was going to be a right pain in the bum.  As a meat-eater you don't always realise just how many food (not to mention cleaning, and health & beauty) products are packed with animal products.  Admittedly, this does mean that a lot of products in the supermarket are off-limits.  However, I came to realise that it's not that I'm not allowed them, it's that I made the positive choice that I don't want them.  What's more, once a very brief period of adjustment took place - working out which products I could still buy, which products to buy instead of my usual purchases, shopping is easy and my shopping bill is definitely cheaper for it.  

It's probably worth me touching on health and well-being as I know this is a concern for a lot of people about veganism.  Contrary to a popular misconception, I get plenty of protein and calcium, more than enough vitamin B12 and vitamin D, and maintain a good balance between carbs, protein and fats.  My mind is generally healthier - I feel calmer and better able to deal with stress than ever.  My asthma and eczema are definitely better and what's more, my energy levels are up, I feel healthier and my body shape is continuously changing for the better.  I certainly don't fit in with the skinny vegan stereotype but nor would I wish to.  In fact another interesting outcome of all of this is that for the first time since I can remember, I've actually made peace with my body and I'm sure that's at least partly down to me making peace with and healing my relationship with food.  Instead of worrying about making myself smaller so that society will approve of me, I've actually increased my enjoyment of lifting weights in addition to running and am really getting a kick out of seeing and feeling myself get stronger each day.  No feeble vegan here and definitely no regrets!

Anyway, I fear I'm getting a little evangelical about it all now so I'd better wrap it up before my beaming self-satisfaction makes you sick!  However, hopefully you've found my experience of becoming a vegan interesting, particularly if it's something you've been considering it yourself but have concerns or fears about it.  

One last thing before I go - as promised, here's a link to the video I mentioned.  It's not particularly graphic, there's no blood or anything.  But I will warn you to say that for me, it was very upsetting.  You don't have to watch it but it's here if you'd like to see it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment